Benefits of Membership
Your membership gives you and your family practical, money-saving discounts that can easily save you many times the cost of your annual membership dues.
More on Discount Programs
Our nation's leaders speak directly to citizens on the pages of The American Legion Magazine. The Legion's organizational goals are promoted using the words of talented writers, professional journalists, and world leaders.
A Powerful Force in our Nation's Capitol
The American Legion is the nations most influential, effective and dependable advocate of veteran affairs fighting for better active-duty pay, improved housing for active-duty families and helping to ensure that the VAs medical system can properly care for veterans.
What we are doing for you today
VA Benefit Assistance
Your membership helps support Department Service Officers nationwide who assist veterans in preparing claims and obtaining their full military healthcare benefits through the VA.
Get help with claims
Eligibility Requirements for American Legion Membership
If you are currently on active duty, serving the United States honorably, anywhere in the world, or have served honorably during any of the following eligible war eras, we invite you to become a member of The American Legion.
- Aug. 2, 1990 to today (Gulf War / War On Terrorism)
- Dec. 20, 1989 to Jan. 31, 1990 (Panama)
- Aug. 24, 1982 to July 31, 1984 (Lebanon / Grenada)
- Feb. 28, 1961 to May 7, 1975 (Vietnam War)
- June 25, 1950 to Jan. 31, 1955 (Korean War)
- Dec. 7, 1941 to Dec. 31, 1946 (World War II)
- April 6, 1917 to Nov. 11, 1918 (World War I)